Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Stilettos and Stems - the Mariposa Cocktail


Guest Blog - by Veronica Shah

Why pair high heels with cocktails? 
Laundress, chauffeur, school volunteer, school party shopper, gift buyer, child supervisor, house administrator, appointment scheduler, child dresser, calls-from-the-principal fielder, discipliner, bum wiper, sweeper, duster, dishwasher, toilet cleaner, etc.  After a long week, and sometimes after a long day, I visit my shoes, pull on a gorgeous pair and walk to the kitchen where my husband has created a fabulous cocktail for me.  
I sit at the kitchen counter with legs crossed, look at my shoes, sip my cocktail and am transported to a mid-century bar in Paris or Tangiers or Hong Kong.  I am exciting, witty and incredibly stylish.  Until dinner time.
As a mother of two sons, and a wife to a husband (who was a bartender in a former life), I get inspiration from everyone around me. As my then-6-year-old (after a month of first-grade diversity training) mentioned one day, “Mama, you are the minority in our family.  You’re the only grull.”
High heels and cocktails, Stilettos and stems, whatever you call them, they go together – tall, feminine, and classy.  With that background as a grull, we created a magnificent cocktail called the Mariposa. 




 THE STILETTOS 

I completely surprised my husband with a trip to Vegas on his 40th birthday.  He completely surprised me by suggesting we walk over to the Wynn and shop at the Manolo Blahnik store.  Jai’s birthday is in February; these shoes sang Spring to me when I saw them.  Wouldn’t you know it, they fit!
Manolo Blahnik 105 mm BB in Butterfly Fabric





THE STEMS
The Mariposa cocktail also reminds me of Spring.  It’s floral, citrusy, slightly sweet and pale violet in color.  Great when Spring has sprung; great any other time when you are waiting for Spring to come.

the Mariposa Cocktail
1 oz fresh lemon juice
Round ice ball with orchid embedded
Put orchid ice ball into a coupe.  Shake all ingredients together in ice-filled Boston Shaker.  Strain into coupe.


Adapted from The Fashionable Cocktail



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Been thinking about shoes? Please share your shoe comments below.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground