Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Brick and Mortar Shopping - Outlets

Shopping in stores has pros and cons. Pros are:



  • In person - you try on the shoe in person, and see the color, feel the fit. Immediately, you know if they match up to your targeted list (make sure you have it nearby - it is easy to stray).
  • Shoe strolling - now don't go off the carpet, but you can take your shoes for a spin around the store. Saunter around the bank of chairs...and see how those shoes feel on your feet. 
  • Time - walking into a store takes time. Calculate the drive to the store, parking, and the time it takes to try on shoes in store and checkout.
  • Shopping overwhelm - take a look at the pictures below. This can be overwhelming to most - and really requires you to focus your efforts, and not get caught up in the red "clearance" signs.


Shopping in stores also has cons:




Remember your list??


Do you see blue high top tennis on your list??



 They are only $69....


 Step away. Step away.


Here are the five steps to handling outlet shopping:

1. Needs vs. Wants - don't forget what you need, versus what you want. If you need something, and it's on that list of yours - you may pay more than a shoe that is simply a want. Have your list in hand and be able to identify needs vs. wants in the store.

2. Sale Psychology - don't give into all of the sale psychology. Ok yes - you are in an outlet, so everything is on sale. But, make sure you aren't in the sale fog where you buy things that you really don't need - just because it is on sale.

3. Take a 10 Minute Time-Out - put them in your basket (you don't want them stolen from under your nose) - but take them on a 10 minute stroll. Your shoe high will have worn off by this point, and you can make a clear minded decision.

4. Google It - oh yeah - I Google shoes to see if I can find them at a better price somewhere else. I prefer to use www.shopstyle.com for my shoe comparisons.

5. Take Your Friends - friends can be great arbiters of shoes. Make sure they know you want their honest opinion, and take all friends comments into consideration. Friends don't let friends buy bad shoes. Trust me - I have some awesome arbiters myself.


So let's take this five step plan and conquer outlet shopping:



Black Pumps:

 Hmmm...nice enough. Black and the right heel height. $59?? I think I can do better. Moving on.


Oh...these are cool. $80?? I show my friend...she frowns...I move on.




Let's check out this bank of shoes....




Lot's of options here. I see some cool yellow shoes, some funky boots and some plaid sandals?? Plaid is in, I think. Why not get them in a sandal form? Need...want....need....want....I move on.


Ok, I find a fabulous pair of Vera Wang open toe patent leather pumps. I try them on...take them for a spin. They feel good, are on my list, and they are feeling good on my feet.




Ok...I take them in my cart and walk around for 10 minutes.

Check out the price again...
 Yep, these are a great investment (I do a quick SIC calculation). I then Google (I realize they are not the higher end lavender label, but still in the right price range).

I turn to a friend...she is smiling approvingly. I take them.

I then turn to these shoes...silver...perfect for the upcoming holidays..and who doesn't love a d'orsay  pump?



And, the price is right. I quickly run through my 5 step list, wait ten minutes (leading to the purchase of some hanky pankys in a camo color)....and then I head to the register. I cross off "cheat pair" from my list. 



Ok - good success this trip. One thing to know about outlets...they are hit or miss. Some trips you will leave empty handed, but you should still celebrate this excursion. That means you followed the 5 step plan, have done the SIC, and you made a rationale decision to not buy shoes. Yes folks, I applauded not buying shoes.

And other times, you will end up with some steals, like me.

The last shoe shopping horizon we cover is Ebay. Ebay is a whole different animal. It requires patience, research and trust. If you do it right, you can have amazing success. Done wrong, and you end up with a high price pair of knock-off Manolos.

Stay tuned for Ebay shopping...In the World of Cha Cha Shoes...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Been thinking about shoes? Please share your shoe comments below.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground