Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

The Big Leagues - eBay Shopping

Warning.....this post is not for amateurs. This post is for those that want to take shoe shopping to the next level...the eBay level.

If you are still here, then you must be the adventurous type. The type that is willing to do a little extra searching and work for those perfect pair of shoes, at a discounted price.

I fondly remember one of my first eBay shoe purchases. I had no money, but had found a way to use less of my college food budget, and pile it into my "shoe budget." So, no more meals out - and more interesting uses of mac 'n cheese and (fill in the blank).

But, I was bound and determined to get this pair of Marc, by Marc Jacobs pink peep toe shoes. I couldn't find the originals, but a similar pair is seen here:

I had no idea about power sellers, ratings, shipping costs or ninja bidding. Somehow, my instincts still kicked in, and while at the school library I closed down the computer lab waiting for the last minute to expire and bid on my shoes. The thrill of bidding out several strangers and getting a pair of sought after, but reasonably priced shoes was amazing. A week later, my pink heels arrived, and so had I.

Over the next 10 years, I learned more about shoes, and eBay. I have found several tricks to shopping on eBay, and sometimes it's all about being in the right place (online) at the right time.

eBay gives their guide to shopping here. I also found this article about how to "Shop Like a Ninja on ebay" entertaining.

Here are my DO's and DON'Ts of eBay shopping:

DO - have your list in hand...what are you looking for?

DON'T - get sidetracked looking at a Monique Lhuillier wedding dresses.

DO - focus on pre-worn shoes. Some of the best online deals are those gently worn items.

DON'T - overlook bad feedback. ALWAYS check the seller's feedback. If they have anything less than a 95% positive rating, step away. Also, go after sellers that have a long history, and a high amount of ratings. 

DO - read the description. Good buyers are specific if there are any tears, scuffs and other dings. Look at the pictures, particularly those of the bottom of the shoe. They can be a great indicator of how many times they have been worn.

DON'T - buy something that seems too good to be true. You can always Google the shoe online, and see what it is generally being sold for. If you find a pair of Christian Louboutins for under $100 - they are likely fake.

DO - check the seller's return policy. Some sellers have strict NO RETURN policies. Be aware when buying.

DON'T - bid too early. There is a watch button that you can use to keep an eye on them as the bidding time progresses. If you are a serious bidder, swoop in at the end bidding higher than the current price, with the ability to go up to your highest amount.

DO - review the seller's background. I can't stress this enough. If you read through recent feedback, you can get a good idea of what buyers have thought of their product. You can also check to see what else the seller is selling, and get an idea of their inventory.

Armed with that information, you are ready to go out and conquer eBay. Remember - this isn't for the faint of heart. It can be risky at times...but equally rewarding when your research and those learned ninja shoe skills pay off. Here are a couple of my favorites on eBay this week, and all are currently under $100:


Love me some Jimmy Choo Mary Janes



I have these Prada's in a snakeskin print...so comfortable!!




I love Miu Miu. Nothing more to say for these beautiful shoes.


A classic Manolo throwback...


And, don't forget that once you find a favorite seller online, you can always follow them, and watch for updated inventory.

Good luck, my friends.
I see discounted fabulous shoes in your future....living in the World of Cha Cha Shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Been thinking about shoes? Please share your shoe comments below.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground